Krishnayan is a partner and heads the disputes practice of VERUS.
Krishnayan started his practice as a litigator before the Supreme Court of India under the tutelage of Mr. V.R. Reddy, former Addl. Solicitor General of India. In 2007, he joined the highly respected Udayan Sen & Co., Advocates, as the Managing Partner and steered the growth of that firm for a period of 2 years. In 2009, Bharucha & Partners, Advocates, retained Krishnayan’s services for its disputes and arbitration practice.
He has been appointed as a Central Government Panel Counsel at the Supreme Court by the Ministry of Law & Justice, Government of India.
Krishnayan graduated from the National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata.
His representations include:
Commercial Litigation & Arbitration
- Successfully represented Sagar Cements Limited in a joint venture dispute with their JV partner Vicat Group, France involving more than Rs. 400 crores.
- Represented McDonald’s in a dispute having significant implications on its billing/accounting mechanism.
- Advised a wide range of companies across diverse sectors including Fiat, GE, Thomas Cook, Kokuyo Camlin, State Bank of India, Vedanta Group, Crompton Greaves, Diversey, Birla Sunlife, Essar Steel, Just Dial, Hindustan Petroleum, NSL Group, Essar Oil, etc.
- Appointed as legal advisor to two sectoral regulators, i.e. Competition Commission of India (the Anti-trust regulator) and the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Telecom regulator).
- Appointed as legal advisor and represented diverse institutions such as Coal India Limited, GAIL India Ltd, Shipping Corporation of India, Rail Land Development Authority, Indian Institute of Foreign Trade, Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited, Office of the Custodian, Visakhapatnam Port Trust, HUDCO Institute of Cost Accountants of India etc.
Banking: Debt Recovery & Enforcement of Security Interest
- Successfully represented United Bank of India at the Supreme Court of India with respect to notice issued against Kingfisher Airlines for declaring the airlines a willful defaulter connection with UBI’s dues of Rs. 400 crores.
- Represented Phoenix ARC with respect to assignment of debts of Rs. 120 crores from HSBC in a textile company.
- Successfully represented Kotak Mahindra Bank at the Supreme Court with respect to secured creditors’ rights to take action against lessees under the Securitization Act, 2002.
- Successfully represented United Bank of India in obtaining injunctions in liquidation proceedings against REI Agro, a listed company, with respect to the bank’s dues of Rs. 221 crores.