Dipankar is a partner at the Mumbai office of Verus and co-heads the corporate transaction practice of the firm.
Prior to joining Verus, Dipankar has worked with two leading law firms in India viz., Amarchand & Mangaldas and Bharucha & Partners.
Dipankar maintains a broad and diverse corporate and corporate finance practice which takes into its fold mergers and acquisitions, inbound investments, infrastructure projects, employment, labour and environmental matters. He also advises clients with respect to derivatives, regulatory investigations and exchange control regulation.
Alongside his regular practice, Dipankar keenly follows regulations around nuclear energy and pharmaceutical industry.
- Advised a leading player in the medical diagnosis field with several of their acquisitions and strategic partnerships.
- Advised Focal Energy Holdings in relation to investments in several renewable energy projects in India.
- Advised Malakoff on their proposed acquisition of Navbharat Power India.
- Advised Gateway Rail Freight Limited on acquisition of a significant stake by Blackstone.
- Advised Malaysian Airlines on its joint venture with GMR Group to set up a green field MRO facility in India.
- Advised HSBC plc on the acquisition of the retail and commercial banking business of RBS in India. The deal was voted by the India Business Law Journal as Deal of the Year 2010.
- Advised Idea Cellular Limited on the acquisition of Spice Communications Limited and the simultaneous investment of Axiata Group (formerly Telekom Malaysia) into Idea aggregating to a deal value of US$ 2.4 bn. The deal was voted by the India Business Law Journal as a Deal of the Year 2008.
- Advised AXA S.A on the Indian aspects of the sale of AXA’s Australian business to AMP.
Banking & Finance
- Advised a consortium of lenders on a complex take-out financing of a passive infrastructure company involving restructuring of a total debt of Rs 13 bn.
- Advised OPC Leasing Solutions on several asset backed financing transactions.
- Advised Axis Bank on a USD 18.5 million structured loan million facilities to Educomp Solutions Limited.
- Advised a consortium of banks led by Axis Bank and ICICI Bank on their project financing of approximately Rs. 50 bn to the Indian joint ventures of Alstom SA and Bharat Forge Limited. The deal was voted as the IFLR / Asia Law India Awards 2012 – Project Finance Deal of the Year 2012.
- Advised a consortium of banks in project financing of a large health care project developed by Columbia Asia involving setting up of 8 hospitals in multiple locations in India.
- Advised Suzlon Energy Ltd. on the refinancing of its onshore and offshore debts of approximately Rs. 110 bn.
Infrastructure & Projects
- Advised TATA Power Solar on one of the largest grid connected solar power projects in Maharashtra, India.
- Advised Lhoist India on setting up of a port facility in Paradip, Orissa, India.
- Advised Rolls Royce India on their bid to set up on EPC basis an ADB funded gas based power plant in Assam.
- Advised SP EPC (a part of the Shapoorji Group) on contractual documentation in respect of several projects executed by them.
- Advised Huntsman Corporation on issues relating to setting up a Polyurethanes factory in India.
- Advised on the contracting aspects of a vendor financed nuclear power project in Africa.
Environment, Employment and Real Estate
- Advised Huntsman Corporation on a complex environmental claim involving liability of previous occupier of a site.
- Advised Crompton Greaves with respect to labour law issues arising out of proposed sale of their excess factory lands in Mumbai.
- Advised HSBC plc on the employment law matters relevant to their proposed acquisition of retail and commercial banking business of Royal Bank of Scotland in India.
- Represented the sellers in respect of sale of a prime property at Napeansea Road, Mumbai to the Jatia family in a deal aggregating to Rs.1750 mn (approx).